Monday 21 October 2013

21st October News - UUPPDDAATTEE




Heyy,

A busy week once again and probably the hardest so far; I've been so tired! If I sit down or stop thinking for a few seconds I can feel my eyes closing. It's been cold, windy and wet. I thought London had summer all year round?

Anyway, Just finished practice with the choir and I'm in the Hyde Park Chapel writing this e-mail. We had stake conference this weekend and it was just what I needed. The FTM's were invited to the priesthood session where we had great messages on member missionary work. It is the pivotal point  in missionary work. The hastening the work of salvation website is brilliant and I would urge you all to check it out!

I had an exchange this week, I was companions with Elder Larsen from California and he's my zone leader. I'm learning that many missionaries have a story which leads them to their mission. He's been out for 18 months! We went out finding and my passion for stopping people on the street was rekindled. We spoke to so many, set about 5 appointments and I bore my testimony of the Gospel countless times. This experience along with others has taught me a crucial lesson. Whilst in the MTC and on my mission I've been praying for a vision of a family or an individual who I could teach and baptise. I've been praying earnestly for this but no such vision has come. See the error in my method? I have pretty much been asking Heavenly Father to entrust me with one of his prepared children without first showing him how hard I'll work to find them. When I've been finding on the street I have the tendency to pick someone out– to wait for the spirit to direct, whilst I let so many people pass me. When it says' TALK WITH EVERYONE in preach my gospel I've been taking it as a suggestion. Lesson learnt, it doesn't work like that. I wanted the blessings without the obedience. So I resolved to make changes and hey presto, miracles are happening. We meet people who may not be baptised but through them we've met others who are accepting the gospel. Through this type of missionary work we start to catch a glimpse of how our Father in Heaven works. How he sees everyone and how through them he can bless others.

I love it so much. I can't believe I only have 99 Sundays left. The days seem like weeks and the weeks seem like days.

Me and my companion Elder Hein like to treat ourselves with tasty drinks. So funny, we drink supermalt and when we buy it looks like we are buying beer. Another funny story, we had a lady shout at us in the street in south Kensington 'Go back to Utah!' I'm not sure if Elder Hein heard her but I did and she just messed with the wrong Elder. I turn around 'What? ' I say, 'Are you Mormons?' She flippantly asks, 'Yes we are', 'What are you doing here? No one believes in God in England?' noticing her whining accent I announce 'I'm from Manchester, England and I believe in God'.. 'Where are you from?' I add... She responds, (In that I can't believe what's just happened, I'm a completely ignorant fool tone) 'LA'. Me and Elder Hein pretty much burst out laughing in disbelief of the discourse we have just been a part of. She was pushing a pram. Please pray for that child.

HAHA

Anyway, I love you all even more than last week. Keep the letters and emails coming!

Hugs and Handshakes

Elder Nolan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...